- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups cold water or vegetable stock
- 2-3 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1/2 to 1 zucchini, depending on size, finely diced
- 3-4 asparagus, finely sliced on an angle
- Salt to taste
- Parsley, chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add 2 cups of water or the stock and bring to boil. Cover, then reduce heat to simmer until water is absorbed, around 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside for 5 minutes and fluff with fork.
- In a frypan over a moderate to low heat, add the oil then add the cumin and fennel seeds. Fry them off for around 30 seconds before adding the onion and the asafoetida. Then add the carrots and capsicum. These will take longer to cook over the zucchini and asparagus, so keep cooking about 5 minutes or so, then add the zucchini and asparagus.
- Gently stir through the vegetables, continue to cook till tender, but please don’t overcook though. Fold through the vegetable mix into the quinoa, add chopped parsley and salt to taste. Lovely served on its own or with this seasons avocado, just delicious.
Serves 4 | Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans | Gluten Free